Videography has become increasingly popular in recent years, with more people looking to create and share high-quality videos.
However, starting out in videography can be daunting, with many technical aspects to consider, from camera settings to lighting and audio.
Fortunately, there are numerous beginner courses available, both free and paid, that can help aspiring videographers get started.
In this article, we will highlight five of the best beginner videography courses to help you develop the skills and confidence needed to create impressive videos.
Keep reading to learn more!
This beginner’s course on Udemy, taught by Gene Nagata (aka Potato Jet on YouTube), covers everything you need to know about shooting video with any camera.
Whether you’re using a phone, DSLR, mirrorless, or cinema camera, this course will guide you from the basics to more advanced cameras and settings.
You’ll learn about lenses, cameras, sensors, and the best settings to use for any situation.
With no prerequisites, this course is perfect for beginners who want to learn how to get the best image settings out of their camera.
At $27.99, the course is an affordable way to improve your video skills.
- Teaches beginners how to film video footage with any camera
- Covers the basics and slowly evolves to more advanced cameras and settings
- Taught by Gene Nagata (Potato Jet on YouTube), a professional filmmaker with over 10 years of experience
- Suitable for anyone with a camera and no prior knowledge of shooting video
In this Skillshare class, Dennis Schrader, a successful freelance videographer and creator, teaches students the fundamentals of filmmaking.
With a focus on camera settings, framing, lighting, audio, and more, students will learn everything they need to create visually stunning videos on any camera, including DSLRs, smartphones, and GoPros.
Dennis’s mission is to help students create high-quality videos, whether for a YouTube channel, Skillshare class, or freelance videography business.
The class covers topics such as shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, as well as simple lighting techniques for a cinematic look and tips for recording good audio without breaking the bank.
With Dennis’s guidance, students will get a head start on the basics of framing, frame rates, and more. This class is perfect for anyone who wants to learn the basics of videography, regardless of prior experience or equipment.
SkillShare offers a one-month-free deal before moving to $32 a month, so the value is definitely there.
- Covers camera settings, framing, lighting, audio, and more for creating visually stunning videos on any camera, including DSLRs, smartphones, and GoPros.
- Teaches the basics of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, and how to use grey cards to ensure perfect white balance.
- Offers simple lighting techniques for creating a cinematic look and tips for recording good audio without expensive equipment.
- Provides a head start on framing, frame rates, and more.
Beginners Videography on beafilmmaker.com is perfect for beginners interested in learning how to shoot and edit great videos in easy to understand steps.
Instructed by broadcast professional, Andrew St Pierre White, this course covers everything from capturing an audience and leaving them wanting more, to the importance of dialogue, music, and sound effects.
With almost 40 years of real filmmaking experience and thousands of five-star reviews on a major online teaching platform, Andrew is a true professional who teaches complex subjects simply and without bombarding students with unnecessary technical jargon.
The course is broken down into thirty-three bite-sized lessons that focus on the creative process of making great videos, rather than just the gear.
By the end of the course, students will be able to create outstanding video blog/vlogs, become presenters and filmmakers, and share their story on video.
The course costs $97 and includes lessons on how to make great videos, how to capture an audience, and the creative process needed to make a great video.
- Taught by a broadcast professional with almost 40 years of real filmmaking experience.
- Thirty-three bite-sized, easy-to-understand lessons.
- Focuses on the creative process of making great videos, rather than just the gear.
- Covers everything from capturing an audience to the importance of dialogue, music, and sound effects.
- Includes lessons on how to make outstanding video blog/vlogs, become presenters and filmmakers, and share your story on video.
The Video Production Bootcamp is an online course that covers everything from coming up with great video ideas, executing them in production and post-production, to distributing them to a wide audience online.
The course is designed for all levels of video makers who want to improve their skills, create stellar videos, and even make money with their videos.
The course covers the entire video creation/videography/filmmaking process, including cinematography, shooting videos on different cameras, lighting, audio recording, editing, and distribution.
The course costs $21.99 and has no prerequisites, although having any type of video experience or camera that shoots video will help.
The course includes direct feedback from instructors on any video projects, downloadable guides, and case studies that break down real-world film projects.
The instructor, Phil Ebiner, has a professional background in video production and editing and has worked on thousands of projects that have appeared in movie theaters, film festivals, television, and online.
- Comprehensive course covering the entire video creation process, from coming up with ideas to distributing your videos online
- Suitable for all levels of video makers, regardless of experience or camera type
- Covers shooting with smartphones, webcams, DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, and DJI drones
- Teaches cinematography basics such as exposure, composition, and focus
- Includes lighting techniques for all types of cameras and budgets
- Covers audio recording with different types of microphones in any environment
This LinkedIn Learning course, taught by Rob Garrott, a Video and Motion Graphics Artist, and Content Manager at LinkedIn, is an excellent starting point for anyone interested in video production and editing.
The course provides a comprehensive overview of the tools and techniques used by video editors, cinematographers, directors, and other professionals in the field.
Rob covers everything from the core genres of video production, including documentary filmmaking and corporate video, to the three main phases of production.
He also delves into crucial topics such as planning, writing, lighting, shooting, storytelling through editing, color correction, and sound design. By the end of the course, students will have gained a solid understanding of the skills and knowledge necessary to create professional video content.
The course is available on LinkedIn Learning, and students can access it with a monthly subscription to the platform.
LinkedIn Learning costs $19.99 a month following a one-month free trial.
- Taught by Rob Garrott, a Video and Motion Graphics Artist, and Content Manager at LinkedIn
- Comprehensive overview of tools and techniques used in video production and editing
- Covers core genres of video production and the three main phases of production
- Includes topics such as planning, writing, lighting, shooting, storytelling via editing, color correction, and sound design
- Available on LinkedIn Learning with lifetime access to the course content.
For those interested in learning videography, there are a variety of free and paid courses available that can help beginners improve their skills.
These courses cover everything from the basics of shooting video with any camera to more advanced techniques such as lighting, audio recording, and post-production editing.
Whether you’re looking to create videos for personal or professional use, these courses can provide valuable knowledge and experience that can help take your videography skills to the next level.